Filing a Wage and Hour Claim - Alaska

Index  |  Your Rights > Unpaid Wages/Wage & Hour Problems  |  Protect Your Rights  |  Firm Homepage

Does Alaska have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Under Alaska law, employers must pay employees at a rate of one and one-half the employee's straight-time wage for working more than eight hours per day or 40 straight-time hours per week.

Does Alaska have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

Effective January 1, 2018, the Alaska minimum wage is $9.84 per hour, which is higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Employers cannot use tips to reduce the minimum wage. If an employee agrees voluntarily in writing, however, an employer can decrease the minimum wage by the cost of meals and lodging even if the employee's net pay is below the minimum wage. School bus drivers working for private contractors must be paid twice the minimum wage.

The following employees are exempt from the minimum wage requirement.

Does Alaska have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Under Alaska law, employers are not required to provide for employees over the age of 18. If an employer allows breaks, employees must be paid for the break if it is less than 20 minutes. Employers are not required to pay employees for meal breaks which last longer than 20 minutes.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Alaska?

You can file a wage complaint with the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development (DLWD). Information about how to file a claim is located in the DLWD website.

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour claim, do not delay in contacting the DLWD to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. In order for the agency to act on your behalf for violations of overtime and minimum wage laws, you must file with the DLWD within two years from the date that the work was actually performed. Claims for straight-time wages or other promised benefits are subject to a three-year deadline.

As you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim with the DLWD.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Alaska?

In Alaska, employees can file a private lawsuit to recover unpaid back wages, liquidated damages, court costs, and attorneys' fees.

State Labor Agency

3301 Eagle Street, Suite 301
Anchorage, AK 99503-4149
Ph: 907-269-4900

Regional State Office Building
675 7th Avenue, Station J-1
Fairbanks, AK 99701
Ph: 907-451-2886

1111 W. 8th Street, Suite 302
Juneau, AK 99801-1802
Ph: 907-465-4842


Content provided by Workplace Fairness | Return to Regular Format