Filing a Wage and Hour Claim - Wisconsin

Index  |  Your Rights > Unpaid Wages/Wage & Hour Problems  |  Protect Your Rights  |  Firm Homepage

Does Wisconsin have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Like federal law, Wisconsin law requires employers to pay employees one and one half times their regular hourly wage for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a given week. Wisconsin's overtime law generally applies only to private sector employees; state and local employees are covered by the federal overtime requirements. Anyone who is not covered by the state's minimum wage law is also not covered by the state's overtime law. In addition, the following employee's who are covered by the state's minimum wage law are not covered by the state's overtime law:

Does Wisconsin have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

Wisconsin's minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. "Opportunity employees" (under the age of 20 and still in the first 90 consecutive days of employment) may be paid at a lower rate per hour. Minor employees (under 18) may be paid at a lower rate per hour. The minimum wage for agricultural employees is at a lower rate per hour.

The following employees are not covered by Wisconsin's minimum wage provision:

This is much broader than the federal provision, and so many employees who would not be covered by the federal minimum wage are covered by Wisconsin's minimum.

Tipped employees may be paid as little as $2.33 per hour, as long as their tips suffice to bring them up to the minimum wage. This also applies to tipped minor employees.

For more information on the minimum wage in Wisconsin, visit

Does Wisconsin have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Only employees under 18 are entitled to a meal break: their employers must provide them with a 30-minute duty-free meal break for every shift greater than six hours in duration; this break does not have to be paid. Otherwise, employers are not required to provide breaks. Meal or rest breaks shorter than 30 minutes must be paid if they are provided. Meal breaks during which the employee is not free to leave the premises must also be paid.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Wisconsin?

If your employer owes you wages, you can file a Labor Standards Complaint Form with the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. The form is available at Before filing the form, you must request the wages from your employer and wait six days after you are owed your wages. The Department will attempt to resolve the problem and, if that does not work, will refer the case to a local district attorney for enforcement or will take the case to court itself.

What are my time deadlines?

Do not delay in contacting the Department of Workforce Development to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which charges of wage-and-hour violations must be filed. In order for the Department to act on your behalf, you must file your claim within two years of the date on which your wages were owed. However, as you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim with the Department.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Wisconsin?

Instead of filing a claim with the Department of Workforce Development, you may bring a lawsuit in court to recover your unpaid wages. In addition to awarding you your back wages, the court may also require your employer to pay your litigation costs and attorneys' fees. There is a statute of limitations of two years for this kind of lawsuit.

State Labor Agency

Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
Equal Rights Division
Madison Office: (608) 266.6860
Milwaukee Office: (414) 887.4384
For more contact information visit:

Content provided by Workplace Fairness | Return to Regular Format