Topic of the Week
Gender Identity Discrimination
Discrimination based on gender identity is not specifically prohibited under federal law at this time, but there are legislative efforts to pass federal laws to make it explicitly illegal. There is also some case law interpreting sex discrimination laws t
Blog of the Week
The thing about systemic racism is it's systemic: This week in the war on workers
Black people have been more likely to lose their jobs during the pandemic than white people, but they also disproportionately work at essential jobs that require them to expose themselves to possible infection.
Thought for the Week
"As more and more people come out, especially as trans and nonbinary, our rights in the workplace and the discrimination we face grows all the more prevalent."
–Noor Al-Sibai | Queer Journalist and member of the Industrial Workers of the World’s (IWW) Freelance Journalists Union
List of the Week
from National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE)
Transgender Employment Statistics
- More than one in four trans workers have lost a job due to bias
- Over three-fourths of trans workers reported that they’ve experienced discrimination at work.
- 30% of trans workers report experiencing harassment at work.
- Trans workers experience unemployment at a rate three times higher than those in the general population do.
- For trans workers of color, the unemployment rate is four times higher.
Top Five News Headlines
- How the American Worker Got Fleeced
- Unemployment rate at 11.1% in June, another 1.4 million workers filed jobless claims last week
- Busse Combat Knife Company Pays $20,900 to Settle EEOC Disability Discharge Suit
- 6 Ways To Cultivate A Workplace Culture That Inspires Diversity And Inclusion
- Stripping Away Bias, One Avatar At A Time