Topic of the Week
As a member of the United States Uniformed Services, you are entitled to special workplace protections under federal law. The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) seeks to ensure that those who serve their country can
Blog of the Week
Essential Workers Fight for Their Lives
Workers making poverty wages in precarious jobs were struggling to survive well before the pandemic. Now, besieged by economic devastation and a public health crisis, they are in a fight for their lives.
Thought for the Week
"If you're dealing with other challenges that impact the veteran community disproportionately like mental health challenges, physical injuries and service, reintegrating back into society... being able to achieve employment at the level in the specific sector that one desires is something a little more challenging."
–Hannah Sinoway | Organization & Strategy Executive VP for the Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America
List of the Week
from Bureau of Labor Statistics
Veterans' unemployment during coronavirus
- In April, the veteran unemployment rate jumped to 11.7%
- More than one million veterans applied for jobless benefits in April alone.
- There are 1.2 million veterans workers in the five industries most impacted by the pandemic, which includes travel, mining and oil and gas exploration, transportation and warehousing.
Top Five News Headlines
- EEOC announces settlement in Greenwood facility ADA complaint
- Best Jobs for Work-Life Balance
- If employers require workers to have antibodies, people will try to get sick
- Boeing laying off 6,770 employees, with more to come
- How businesses and workers can keep PPP loan forgiveness and unemployment benefits